Re: Weaving with Granite

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Nancy Walkup (walkup)
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:52:54 CST6CDT

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 11:30:55 -0400
From: ELENI53
To: walkup
Subject: Re: Weaving with Granite

In his interview on in "Weaving Granite on ArtsEdNet, artist
Jeus Moroles said:

"For one thing, I think art is learned. I think you can learn
it. I think some people who are more gifted than others, but I
think anyone who wants to be an artist can be an artist. So I
just say, if that's what you want to do, you can do it."

What do you think?

Nancy,

I agree with his statement. I should since I tend to say the same thing to my
adult students who are "artphobic".
I also discuss Gardner's intelligences and how being visual-spatial helps in
being able to pick up the nuances of where and how shapes, lines, and curves
connect with each other and therefore viual-spatial people can sometimes draw
faster,/better than others... it's merely a natural talent for some. This is
not to say that you cannot partake of it or improve your own visual-spatial
skills, just as you can improve your skills regarding any of the other
intelligence areas. Practicing the various intelligence areas sometimes makes
perfect (if you naturally have those gifts), but more often it makes us
better. Practice make better...that sounds strange but more the truth I
think.

'Leni

PS, Do you happen to have any information on a study which was done at
Antioch University in Seattle re: 7 Intelligences? I heard they pretested
several teachers to find where they were in the intelligence areas and then,
starting with the weakest areas, had them learn and practice skills in all
the areas. Have you heard of this?

Dear 'Leni:

Thanks for your comments. I agree that "practice makes better."
Moroles' comments struck me because I believe that all students can learn
about art and derive meaning from art experiences.

It was great to discover all the positive comments Moroles had about art
education and his teachers. He still remembers all his art teachers and
appreciates the encouragement he received as a student from both
his teachers and his parents. We don't often get to see how our
students turn out and know what influence we might have had, so
it's great to hear such comments as Moroles'. I know that I
remember very well the art teacher who most supported me as a
student. How about you? I have this unsubstantiated theory that
most art educators were mentored, encouraged, or made to feel
special by an art teacher.

Thanks again,

Nancy

PS. Sorry I don't know anything about the study you mentioned.
Maybe someone else out there in cyberspace will know.

Nancy Walkup, Project Coordinator
PO Box 5098, University of North Texas
Denton, TX 76203
817/565-3986 FAX 817/565-4867