Re: Arts on the outer ring

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Chris Merriam (ktwnldy.az.us)
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 09:07:54 -0600

Fletcher Kaufman wrote:
> Back to my original question: How have you been
> able to team or invite other team participation when
> you remain seperate from non art teams.

A suggestion I picked up from a workshop a few years back has helped me
integrate.
Ask teachers for an outline of major areas they study and when. All they
need to do is look at last years lesson plans and jot down "the big
picture".

This gives you a starting point. Ask yourself what you already do that
can in some way build on the other curricula. Start looking for things
that you can use for new projects that still address the Principals and
Elements, Aesthetics, Criticism, History, etc.

I have found that it really does not matter if I teach my Aztec calendar
unit at the same time the kids are getting it in the classroom. They
either bring in their classroom learning ... or take what they learned
in art to the classroom. Fourth graders who learn about Hieroglyphs get
to 6th grade and tell their teacher what they learned 2 years ago!

Have fun!
Chris