Re: tone

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ruth Voyles (rvoyles)
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 00:12:45 -0500 (EST)

Sandra, Mark, and Charlotte:
I couldn't agree more. Perhaps the change in tone is due to stress as
Sandra pointed out, or maybe growing pains. The list and participation
has grown so quickly. I still feel it to be a wonderful resource for
anyone involved in education in and through the arts. Still, while in
the past I have come to look forward to the discussions, and have posted
questions, comments and requests for information, I do so lately with
some reservations.

The thing that I love the most about this listserv IS its great diversity.
The fact that through this vehicle I have contact to art educators, artists
and advocates all over the world is in my view Artsednet Talk's greatest
strength. We all certainly share our commitment to exellence in art
education, as evidenced by our involvement in this DBAE list.
Our differences when compared to the commonality of our passion for
and involvement in the arts, are minor. As Sandra so eloquently put it,
"Let's just share ideas, enjoy each other, and
continue to learn."
Like Sandra, I too have felt a real sense of
community here...and frankly I miss it.

Thank you, Charlotte, for having the courage to bring this issue up. It
was not something that I, lately on the defensive, could have done.

And thank you also to all of the participants on Artsednet talk for
making this list the incredible resource it is.

Sincerely,

Ruth Voyles
Art Educator
The Toledo Museum of Art
The University of Toledo

On
Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Sandra L. Eckert wrote:

> Mark and Charlotte,
> I also agree with your observations about the overall tone of this listserv.
> Perhaps the membership is getting comfortable with each other and letting
> off steam...we all know about stress in our positions! I have felt
> uncomfortable with some of the bantering that has happened lately. It seems
> antithetical to our purposes. We are all creative, informed and active
> people; we're bound to have some differences! Like our subject, we should
> celebrate our diversity! Isn't that what makes life interesting?
> And we all have demanding jobs, which need our energy...what a shame to
> energy...grow from it!
> Enough said. I'm happy to have this resource.
>
> Sandy

  • Reply: Ping Lin, Freak Extraordinare: "Re: unsubscribe"