Re: intEgration!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lynn Foltz (lfoltz)
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 14:13:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Bunki
Thanks for the post - well, I hope things are beginning to simmer down -
it is helpful to really understand the context of people's opinions.
Your situation in CA is so disturbing - because so many times, CA sets
the tone for the country --- my county has a wonderful art program - with
high standards, money (but never enough) to support, curriculum standards
and really wonderful art teachers who are so determined and committed - I
am so proud of all of them ----but we all started from humble beginnings
- this all started about 9 or 10 years ago - and we constantly fight to
retain the standards... So I completely understand your frustration - it
overwhelms me to remember and think of how it would be to teach in such a
way and under the same constraints - so my hat is off to you and all
others across the country ----
This can also explain some of the differences of opinions we have
observed , not only on this subject, but others --- it is not merely
philosophy, but circumstances that develop the opinions we all have. I
have been working on assessment in my state for over a year now -- these
discussions on the net make me realize that with so many circumstances,
so many differring backgrounds, student populations and administrative
support - how in the world can we expect to really assess art programs,
art work from students, art knowledge gain through our teaching - we all
are to be commended for hanging in there - because it is obvious that we
all seem to be passionate about what we do -- and that we have all put
great energies into the decisions and programs which have developed from
these decisions

Oh well, I apologize for going on and on about this
Yes, we can agree to disagree - I respect your points and I really do
think that we are closer to agreeing that we thought at the beginning of
all of this, what has turned out to be, mammoth subject.

Thanks for letting me bend your year,
Respectfully,
Lynn