Re: survey of computer skills

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Beth Kanter (kanter)
Wed, 09 Oct 1996 13:02:16 -0400

Hi Alix,

There are two excellent books on the topic which also include skills
assessments that might be useful to you. The books are:

Computer Trainer's Personal Training Guide - Bll Brandon published by QUE
Internet Trainers Guide, Diane Kovacs Van Nostrand Reinhold

I've seen both of these books in bookstores in the computer/internet sections.

This is also brings up a question that I'd love to pose to members of the
list and an topic we've been discussing online -- What are the various
models for internet training that are in place in different schools? Did
your school offer an internet skills/technology/computer staff development
workshop? What model was successful and why?

I've been told about various approaches to this type of training -- from
working a small number of interested educators who then serve as
mentors/staff resources to other educators on staff to having a technology
coordinator who is responsible for the computer stuff, including training.

Alix Peshette wrote:

>I am on the technology focus group in my junior high school. We are
>in charge of planning and providing staff development on site. In
>the 50 staff members, there is a wide diversity of computer skills
>and competence. I need to find a 'test' that people can take to
>pin-point their level of skill.
Beth Kanter Arts Wire Network Coordinator kanter

<http://www.artswire.org/Artswire/spiderschool/spider.htm>