Re: intergration

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lynn Foltz (lfoltz)
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 00:03:56 -0400 (EDT)

Well, for goodness sakes - all I want to do is uphold and keep the
integrity of art education at a high standard and REALLY TEACH ART rather
than lose the real teaching of art by teaching students that art is a
salt map or a pumpkin or a Christmas tree - I have been a supervisor and
state presenter and Board Member of our state association and attending
NAEA conventions for years and years and years ----- and what I have seen
and observed so very many times is that people think they are teaching
art by using patterns and season to motivate students.... this is not
truly a DBAE approach------------- I also believe and live in a way that
other subject areas become a part of teaching art WHEN IT IS A NATURAL
AND REAL CONNECTION - I have fought this fight for most of my teaching
career and I hate to see new and experienced teachers fall into the
danger of creating sloppy and shallow programs - all for the sake of
integration ---of course I integrate many, many, many times - but I truly
make sure that it is APPROPRIATE for the goal or measure I am teaching
for art. I hope I am making myself clear......Sorry to step on so many
toes!!
Most humbly and respectfully,
Lynn