Re: kalaidescopes

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Tue, 08 Oct 1996 12:27:22 -0700

Lynn Foltz wrote:

> Sorry, I think this sounds like a science project
>
> At least you are correlating it with some art history - but is it a stretch??
>
> Regards
> LF
>
> On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Terilynn Sanford wrote:
>

> > Will you please post how you are going to make the 2-D
> > kalaidescopes with 4th graders. It sounds interesting!
> >
> > Thanks, Teri

Re: science experiment

So, what's wrong with a science experiment? Too me scientists and
artists are not that far apart. We are both working with givens, trying
to push the envelope looking for truths. We explore what is, and
through experiments with what is available create or investigate. So
how could making kaleidoscopes with colors, shapes, textures, light,
continually moving be any less artistic than Jackson Pollack, or
Turner's watercolors, or Klee's paintings? Looking at the world through
multifaceted lenses alone could be very inspiring. Perhaps you could
argue that the changing of the colors is purely random, and how could
that be art? If the artist chooses the components of the art, and then
puts them into a handmade kaleidoscope, and turns it, I feel it is no
different than Agam's moving images (although his images don't have the
amount of combinations a kaleidoscope has).

San D