Re: Product or Process

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Tue, 08 Oct 1996 12:18:36 -0700

Lynn Foltz wrote:

> Your discussion on product vs process gets a little tiresome at times
>
> Of course, I believe that process is important and that the process is
> the foundation that the final conclusion (product) of the artwork is
> based. Process is critical.....
>
> But lets be real - product is also important - if we only focus on
> PROCESS - we can have lots of students processing all over the place
> without a focus and goal in mind - I can say this because I TEACH, TEACH
> TEACH students in the real world. What I am saying is that students,
> like the rest of us, need a goal in mind. Teach the process -
> demonstrate it, model it, let students experience - but keep high
> standards and EXPECT them to produce something out of their process.
> Sometimes I think we preach process to allow all of us (students and
> teachers) off the hook to high quality art production in the studio.
>
> Most respectfully,
> L.Foltz

While it might seem true that this conversation is tiresome, it is one I
am always eager to engage in for some of the following personal reasons:

1. Trying to better my delivery system of teaching art, concepts and
aesthetics to my students at a level that they can comprehend and accept
into their art experience.

2. To help sort out my feelings of how I feel when I see my colleague's
students work continually look more "polished" than my students, but at
the same time my students' work looks more original and fresh, and to
try to walk that fine line of the two. In side by side comparisons, our
students continually place/win scholarships, competitions at the same
rate. Additionally there is a sense, at least from my perspective, that
when looking at all of our students' work, their students work is
similar in process, and finishing techniques, while my students' work
shares the commonality of adventure, and riskiness. I will admit that
my students' work does not always receive universal acceptance.

3. I also believe in preparing students for the real world. And the
reality of it is,of the 200 or more students that engage in art during
the year, only about 20 will probably go on in the art field. And of
those 20, perhaps only 6 will actually make that into a reality. I have
a feeling, again personal, that the real world will be looking for
creative problem solving on all levels, and it is perhaps within process
development that this part of the brain develops a strength in creative
problem solving.

San D