Re: multiculturalism

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Sat, 05 Oct 1996 07:12:05 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Lagrace Stephens wrote:

> I am involed in ESL students and certification-also I have been teaching
> high school art since the late sixties. Does anyone know how to encourage
> students to develop their own cultural style of art without imposing
> western style. I seen so many lose the look and taste of their culture
> and I think there must be some way they can grow and still maintain their
> own cultural style.
> thank you

"western style" is nothing more than what you describe when you say:

"I've seen so many lose the look and taste of their culture..."

Maybe you could begin by doing some exploration of the cultural styles
your family has come from - alongside your students. Model you're own
valuing of traditional cultural style.

"Cultural style" can be sometimes traced to a single village somewhere.
(of course that requires some decisions along the way as to which threads
to follow) Even with your ESL students; though on the surface they may,
for the most part, seem to belong to the "same" cultural style their
familys probably do not all come from the same region.

If people's culture is important, I don't think that we should generalize
anywhere along the spectrum. "western culture" is a myth. Admittedly, a
very popular myth and one increasingly set in concrete (sometimes quite
literally), but a myth I'm planning to challenge. The argument for the
"vital importance" or even "superiority" of western culture can, after
all, only be made by people who believe in the myth.

The 'recovery' of culture is something ALL students (and their
instructors) can do!

-henry