Re: Product or Process

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Fri, 04 Oct 1996 07:00:01 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 4 Oct 1996 marcy_heesch wrote:

>I teach 1-12 and find that too many students want to focus on the
>product. I tell them learning happens in the process and if they already
>know HOW to do this they are not learning they are practicing. I ask them
>to allow themselves to learn by letting them focus on learning not
>production. I have a room motto and it is posted above the door "processs
>not product". this is the way to learn and this is why we are in school.

I'm not sure I follow you completely, marcy. What do you mean by process,
for example? Do you have a specific process, or a collection of potential
processes, in mind for the students to follow as in, say, manufacturing.
OR, is the student on her own? How extensive is the student's prior
knowledge of the medium and its nuances? Has the student already personally
encountered its limitations? Or, is this also part of learning the process?

I think you are saying that "process not product" is the way we learn.
How would you apply that to another curriculum, say, reading? It's really
an interesting notion so far. Thanks for sharing it!

-henry