Re: Bad Critique

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Tue, 01 Oct 1996 10:59:30 -0700 (MST)

Terry, I gotta chuckle here.

Georg flamed someone's artistic judgement as demonstrated in their work
and as a consequence has trepidations about having his own "work" flamed
in judgement? Far be it from me. My judgement is limited and personal. I
have no universal and validating criteria to uphold. I'm an unrepentant
relativist and pluralist. I do like, somewhat, the critical style of the
instructor who layed-off the negativity when self-confidence was shown (if
that was indeed the case). Georg (almost) seems confident in his choice.
That trepidation, however, might undermine his own position a tad. (But only
"MIGHT" mind you.)

It would be almost ideal if we could match the student to the professor.
If we could, such confrontations might be avoided entirely. Well, ALMOST
entirely--matches are never ALWAYS perfect. (The alternate ideal is the
procrustean one where all students conform to the professor who conforms
to all other professors and they to the established IDEAL. All we would
have to do to achieve this would be to get the professors to agree,
perfectly, on the ideal they would establish.)

I think Georg's approach is probably as good as any but not recommended
for everyone. Now, if I believed George to be another Hamada and that Hamada-
like quality of his was my absolute benchmark I could not think of anyone
else I would want to teach me; no matter how stringent thier critiques.
On the other hand, if I wanted to "do my own thing" I would probably look
elsewhere.

-henry

Have faith Georg!