Bad Critique

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Terry Barrett (barrett.8)
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 09:55:27 -0400

>>From gheimdal-state.edu Mon Sep 30 09:39:12 1996
>Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 09:36:27 -0400
>From: Georg Heimdal <gheimdal-state.edu>
>Subject: Bad Critique
>To: Barrett <barrett.8>

A friend and colleague with whom I have been sharing the critique
discussion wrote the following to me, and with chagrin and trepidation for
fear of being flamed, has allowed me to forward it to the listserv:

Terry,
Did I ever tell you about the critique I did with two other profs about ten
years ago?
We were the Grad Committee of a young woman in ceramics. The two of them
hemmed and hawed for an hour about the woman's truly awful
ceramics. Everybody knew what they wanted to say, but were too gutless.
Finally I layed it out. The work was derivative and incredibly weak, and
I said so. She sat there and didn't say a word. When the critique was
over, the other two profs left and I told her I was willing to talk anytime she
wanted. No response (other than tears streaming down her cheeks), so I
got up and left the room. When I closed the door I heard this enormous
crash coming from one of her pieces being thrown against the other side
of the door. The woman dropped out of our program at the end of the
quarter and transfered to Boston College where she got a full
scholarship. Let me know if you get any examples more horrific than this
one.

Georg

Terry Barrett
Professor, Art Education