RE: [teacherartexchange] ceramics equipment set-up

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2012 - 10:50:44 PDT

Maggie
  You were kinder than I. I became the clumsy art teacher and would drop them into the kiln...oopsy. Of course this IS after I warned them not to make bongs and that I knew what they looked like. I would explain that the taxpayers were our patrons, and as such, they didn't support drug, cigarette or alcoholic referencing in the students' work. That said, I only had to "accidently drop" one each year, and the word got out. As for grading, the kid got a work grade every week, a "project" grade based on the parameters set up for the assignment (theme, size, etc), and would have to talk to me for their "piece completed grade". As you know many accidents happen on their own in a kiln, so I never just had the final piece grade as the only grade.
  San D