RE: [teacherartexchange] ceramics equipment set-up

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2012 - 08:55:22 PDT

 There are very few ceramic places anymore locally that can help you put the equipment together. Best advice I would give (after you have looked up ceramic places in your yellow pages) is to hire a handyman, the kind that fixes things around your house. They are usually very good with manuals and putting things together.

As for the potters' wheels, I had them too at school, and I used to call the speeds "slower than dirt" and "medium" (because even the fast wasn't fast enough for me). I would recommend YOU learn how to use the wheels by adjusting your way of working so that you can explain it to the kids. Develop a system of throwing that relies on using the slow only for trimming the bottoms, and the fast for centering and bringing up the walls. The kids won't know the difference. As a teacher I was well aware that I wasn't teaching at an Arts High, so if you do indeed get someone who falls in love with ceramics and intends to do it for a career, they will be retaught at college anyway on better potters' wheels. My experience when I taught it on the high school level many years ago was that kids end up making bowls and are happy with that. (word to the wise, make sure they aren't making bongs, which they will tell you are something else).

San D