RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: October 26, 2011

---------

From: Robin Phillips (rphillips_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 31 2011 - 11:29:53 PDT

Natalie wrote:

Some great ideas!! While we're on this subject, any good ideas for
crafts 2nd graders can make? Our school has a "Craft Fair," and all
of the students are expected to make something to sell. The 2nd
graders are a little tougher to find a craft for because they are more
limited in what they can do.
Thanks,
Natalie

My 2nd graders are weaving right now. First we create a fringe by "un-weaving"
the four sides of 9"x12" precut pieces of burlap. Then we "un-Weave" areas of the
burlap and weave different materials through those areas. I've used felt, fabric
and even paper strips. Then I teach them a running stitch and we stitch thin
ribbon or yarn through the other areas of the burlap. You can also create symbols
and cut them out of index cards and teach the kids to stencil on the burlap.
I have tied this into Native American art and there are other connections as well.

Robin in PA