RE:[teacherartexchange] Art ideas to auction off at school fundraisers

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ellen.sears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 29 2011 - 11:14:01 PDT

Hi Emily -
Our school has an auction every year too - sometimes they ask for help with the projects. Our like to have collaborative pieces to raise the price (it can be pretty competitive.)
And I don't like spending too much class time to make something the kids won't see again -

So I have tried to use it as an opportunity to practice a technique, use a lesson that allows for making multiples easily, or incorporating a copy of the work into the final piece.

For a big class project - I usually use smaller pieces by students that can be added together for the final piece.

One year the students did clay projects where we pressed leaves into the final project - they did a leaf tile for practice and I stored them away to use later. A parent used them for tiling shelves in an old plant stand.

We were painting flowers, so I had them practice one on a larger canvas that we used to make a foot stool.

Flour paste resists during an African textile unit - we used the fabric to make place mats and a table runner.

Sulpey self-portraits (heads) on painted canvas - lots of color and pattern in the background, small patches of solid color for the faces.

Anything that combines a magnetic white board/chalk board or calendar with student artwork - you can use a thrift store frame and purchased canvas - embellish, have the kids make magnets, holiday/birthday tags... we have done a ton of these.... always a little bit different... calendars are perpetual (change the month/dates etc as needed.)

Color copies of student artwork collaged on platters, frames, shallow bowls, chairs, tables.. you get the idea.

Printing always works great for this - small plates to practice carving, making a stamp.... then stamp together for a larger piece.

for any painted furniture we use the piece as the background and the students made smaller pieces to add later - that way I,m not trying to get a lot of kids around one piece of furniture.

Shrink plastic insects on the back of a chair that was sponge stamped with leaves.

Old cigar box embellished with wooden legs, painted, lined, 'bejeweled', small sculpey tiles by students - and more to hold a handmade book from the class... can even be an empty journal/sketchbook/photo album for the new owner.

Students painted wooden fish that were added to the side of a painted bookcase/dresser, painted seaweed, created water with glazes over the base paint.

Two projects I had set up for kids that were finished early -
A large plywood circle and containers of items to glue on it for mosaics - glass baubles, small river rock, tiles... then grout and attach a base for a table.

Appliqued quilt - I had older students applique hearts, I pieced and then we used old costume jewelry and beads to embellish. This was probably my favorite one - very bright, then had black and white striped triangles like a banner at the bottom with beaded tassels.

Individual smaller items?
Love the ebook cover idea from San D, and the star garland from Marie -
What about fabric strips woven into iPhone pouches? Or even embellished felt - do you have parents that can help sew for you?

Banners and garlands are very popular right now - what about prepared paper collages etc cut into pennants (long thin triangles or rectangles - just cut three sizes, layer and trim with strips, circles, dots), then add letters for 'Happy Birthday' or other holidays - string on twine - you could easily package in bags you create/sew yourself...

Good luck with your projects - does the PTA school give you any seed money for the projects?
Ellen

From: Emily Stuver
Subject: [teacherartexchange] Art ideas to auction off at school fundraisers

 I wanted to ask you all if you had any ideas for art projects that
I can suggest to our silent auction committee. Every year, they ask the
parents to make something with the kids that will then be up for auction in
the spring. This year, they've asked me to do something to help because
last year, many items didn't sell. I have shared with them my reservations
about holding the art that they've done in art class hostage until a parent
can purchase it .....as it is unethical and feels just plain wrong.
However, I do need to suggest things for our spring silent auction/online
auction. I have collected a few pieces of furniture to have the kids
decorate. Now I have the other 16 classes to plan for and each project has
to be different.