RE: [teacherartexchange] Art ideas to auction off at school fundraisers

---------

From: Amy Broady (ABroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 29 2011 - 09:38:23 PDT

What about painted umbrellas?
Yard flags? (Those mini ones that stick into the ground)
Papier mache vessels? These can easily be collaborative, so no one person
has "ownership"...first layer can be newspaper strips, second layer plain
newsprint (in my district, we have pastel-colored newsprint, so I use it as
a "primer" layer to cover the print of newspaper and prep paper mache
projects for the tissue paper layer)...and then a layer of analogous colors
of tissue paper, which provides vivid color.
Wood cutouts? One year we did life-size wood cut-outs of kids (the husband
of a co-worker cut them out for us) which we then primed and collaboratively
covered with tissue paper collage, again analogous colors of tissue paper.
We had other ideas for decoupage, but ran out of time. One of the figures we
did differently...it was painted solid black, and then "mosaic-ed" with
polymer clay "tiles." We didn't have enough tiles to cover the entire
figure, so we did the jacket and the shoes. Looks kind of like Elvis,
believe it or not. I can send you photos of these if you email me off-list.
Origami or tissue paper flower bouquets/arrangements?
Origami bird &/or butterfly ornaments?
Polymer Clay Pinwheel Magnets?
Regular pinwheels for garden display?
Mat board clocks? (Could be painted, decoupaged, "tiled" with smaller mat
board pieces, etc., and have clock works attached.)
Potato print (or eraser, styrofoam, or linoleum print) card sets?
Garden pavers? (I don't love working with plaster or concrete, so I'd not
choose this, but it's an idea.)
If the sale is in the spring, I bet items that can go in a garden would be
good sellers. Or on a table as a centerpiece.
A big ticket item, perhaps: a life-size packing tape figure??? I've seen
these online and they look cool, but I've never been brave enough to attempt
them. I teach elementary, and it seems too complex and time- and material-
consuming for my classes.

Okay, enough brainstorming for now. I'm looking forward to seeing what
others suggest. Good luck, and let us know what you settle on!
Amy in TN