[teacherartexchange] Oil Pastel Batik

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ellen.sears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 23 2011 - 19:00:02 PDT

Hi Denise -
My 4th graders are just finishing oil pastel batiks - we did folk art landscapes. I had them draw with white chalk, then color with oil pastels (layering colors - helps to make sure there is a thick coat). Outline the chalk spaces, then fill in.
I had them do three small concentric shapes to practice, drawing with chalk makes sure no space will be too small to color in. I had a handful that had to start over, their choice when I showed them small samples of heavy/light coat of oil pastel and how it looked with the ink.

I love the way they look when I rinse them off... like a photo in developer. Last year we did quilt squares using this technique - years ago I did patches of patterns for whole quilts with K-1s... they went back over the finished piece with oil pastel details.

Ellen