Re: [teacherartexchange] I haven't gotten the digest since Oct. 10

---------

From: Denise Mozzetti (mozzart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 23 2011 - 11:01:59 PDT

Boy, you guys have sure hit a nerve lately! I, too, came to teaching late in life, having worked as an artist and in advertising. It's all about the kids. I hate the politics and have absolutely NO support from administration (it's JUST art!) and NO budget - we're supposed to pull art out of thin air. In addition to teaching six preps in high school in five classes, having classes become the dumping ground for kids who have no where else to go (34 kids in 7th period with 3/4 of them with special needs of one kind or another and this without any help), now they've changed the evaluation process and feel that they can pull from God knows what sources when they do their evaluations. The politics are killer. But I agree with you, Leslie, that I sleep well at night as far as knowing that I'm doing the right thing in my life. Every day is different and every kid is unique. I wouldn't have it any other way.

So, on another note, I'm about to do a Surrealist piece in perspective, and I was thinking that I'd have the kids do it with oil pastels, leaving a small space around each shape and color, and then covering it with ink - has anyone ever done this before? Any suggestions?

Denise in Novato