[teacherartexchange] Downsizing

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (eheisey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2011 - 04:00:10 PDT

This is not an educational or classroom question, but more of an 'Antiques Road Show' issue.
Anyway, if you are kind enough to read this--thank you.

I had a school community member contact me. She has inherited a lot of Western art--maybe 200 pieces. Most of it has been painted or sculpted in the last century and features native Americans or cowboys.
What does one do with a collection like this? She hopes to sell it somewhere but I have no idea where.
There were no artists that I could identify specifically although a few were apparently inspired by Remington. But I am surely not an expert in Western art or even American art.
She wondered what she could do with them. She has a huge photo album in which she is trying to compile a directory.

Does anyone have any creative ideas for this?
I was going to send her to a quality gallery who could maybe recommend a specialized gallery, just in case there were a few pieces of real value.
Of course she could sell it online. But I think this would bring in a host of technical problems, unless she hires out the process.

The other idea is to open a small museum. ha. Or a virtual museum.

But this brings up a real point. What are you guys going to do with all your art, collected over the years, when you start to downsize? Surely anyone going through my collections one day will recognize they were valuable only to my quirky eye??!!

Beth