[teacherartexchange] Supply Questions

---------

From: Mark Paradise (MParadise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 28 2010 - 06:28:08 PDT

Hi Sarah,
In regards to your questions about art supplies...I use oil pastels on Canson Mi Tientes paper. It has a nice tooth, and both sides offer a slightly different texture.It can be expensive, but I buy it in 25 sheet packs for the best price. Some vendors even offer larger packs. I cut it in half and it is still a good size for middle/jr. high student work.

Your question about drawing paper I always purchase it in reams, that way you get the best price. 500 sheets can last pretty long. I buy 12x18 and 18x24. If I need to cut it that's not a problem. Four to five reams of each size can easily get me through the year.
I also make it a point of letting my students know that they are allowed only one sheet per project. This is a huge savings in paper. I try to use my resources frugally w/o waste. That's what erasers are for. Also, I teach them to draw very lightly at the start of a project. Students need to know that drawing initally with a very firm pressure crushes the paper fibers. Then the result is the famous "ghost lines" that can't be removed.

Finally, you asked about glue sticks. I have been using a product called O'Glue for years. It is a great glue for paper since it does not wrinkle very much when it dries. It is a great non toxic substitute for rubber cement which is of course a no-no for students. It is a long tube with a sponge tip applicator that puts the glue only where you want it. It washes up w/soap/water easily. When you order it, be sure to unscrew the sponge cap. There is a small plastic cover over the inside of the tube so that the glue won't leak during transport. If the sponge cap becomes loaded w/semi dry glue, simply push out the sponge and soak it overnight in warm soapy water.
I always have my students use the cover as a glue tube stand at their work areas. When the tube begins to have less glue in it, it's best to keep it upside down in the cap. This allows quick use w/o having to wait for the glue to travel back down the tube. I also store them in a small bucket upside down between classes so the glue is near the sponge tip. Good luck, hope this helps.
Mark Paradise
East Windsor Middle School
East Windsor, CT

NOTICE:
This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying to the original message at the listed email address. Thank You.