[teacherartexchange] Supply Questions

---------

From: sarah k (sarah.kerns3_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2010 - 14:59:05 PDT

Hello Art Teacher Friends,

This year at my "new school" (same building, new name, 2/3rds new
students) I was told that all supplies were to be ordered from WB
Mason and I am to store all the art supplies in the coat closet of my
classroom (ahh!) The paper I ordered for drawings is great, but I had
my eighth graders do an oil pastel drawing on the black construction
paper I bought, and realized there was no "tooth" to it. After a layer
or two of color, it would slide right off... Pacon Tru- Ray. I am
stuck with it in all colors. Even if I could buy more, there is only
one other option with this company. What kind of construction paper do
others purchase? And about how much for the year? (I have grades 2-8,
two classes each grade) My principal is completely supportive of the
arts and program I am developing on my own. What could I do to
persuade her to let me order from Sax/ School Specialty or another
company?
With drawing paper, about how much does everyone order per year? I
feel like I am flying through 12x 18.
Lastly, glue sticks! I like how they are neater than white glue, but I
feel like it winds up on my tables just as often, and we run out after
two projects. Perhaps I need to teach proper usage, which I can do,
but I'd like to know what others do. Glue sticks vs. white glue.

As always, thanks for the help! As a one teacher "department" its
reassuring having a great array of experienced teachers on the other
end of an email.

Sarah K.