Re: [teacherartexchange] face painting

---------

From: dulcius (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2010 - 14:22:27 PDT

Hi Elizabeth,
I do professional facepainting in the summer, and when I got started at
it, I got lots and lots of great ideas from the internet. You will
definitely see the lower-key "heart on the cheek" and those sorts of
things, but you can also find beautiful examples of artistically done
full-face butterflies, tigers, and so many others! There are also some
lovely tutorials on youtube. If you want to have them get into the more
professional style of working, I would really recommend you invest in
some high-quality paints; I and many other pro painters use Mehron brand
Paradise paints - I get mine online from Silly Farm. They are
non-toxic, and formulated to be used on facial skin. They also come in
a really wide range of colors, they blend well, and they dry on the skin
really nicely, without being crackly or itchy. I have been teaching a
group of after-school students to do this type of facepainting, because
it's a really viable way of making money in the arts; for example, the
designs I do at the zoo in the summer sell for between $6 and $15
dollars per design, and I'm doing facepainting at a party this weekend
for $75 per hour! I've had the students learning using the Snazaroo
paints that are available in the Blick catalog (I think it's Blick -
maybe Sax?), but I don't like them nearly as much as the Mehrons.
Please let me know if you have any other questions - I have loved
learning to do facepainting, and have really enjoyed teaching my
students to do it too!
-Lydia in Toledo
Toledo School for the Arts