Re: [teacherartexchange] face painting

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2010 - 09:05:55 PDT

Greetings Beth (and all),

This could be a lot of fun for you and your students.

Will there be a fee charged for face painting? Proceeds could be split
between your art department and the school library. If there is no
charge for it.... suggest they charge at least 25 cents donation to
cover your cost of supplies.

I would suggest coming up with some recognizable characters from books
(Cat in the Hat and other Dr. Seuss, Arnold, Pooh and company, and
many more). Make a poster of images from which children can choose.
Have students practice those characters so they can get them done in a
relatively short amount of time. Years ago, I was hired to paint Ohio
State University logos and buckeyes. I made up a few designs and
practiced those so I could get them done quickly. I know I used
regular tempera paint - but don't remember now what I did to make it
work better on faces (mixed with lotion? put lotion on face first?). I
am sure you will find good information by Googling.

You might even plan some whole face ideas, which of course, would cost
more (if there is a fee).

Hmmm... I just got to thinking.... Better not let Disney get wind of
this if you use their Pooh design. The copyright police will be after
you (grin). Anyways... find out some popular book characters for the
ages the event will be addressing. I think this is an important way
the art department can show their support. Art connects all - touches
all subjects in so many ways. Art is the CORE (smile). Children learn
to read first by reading the pictures. Many of nights, my son would
"read" to me. I am not sure who fell asleep first. Hubby often would
have to come in to tell me to come to bed. My son is now 26 and still
has a stack of books beside his bed..... although now he wants to
replace them with a Kindle.

Let us know what you come up with.

Judy Decker

P.S. Reminder to all to remove member email addresses before you click
"Send". Digest users, remember to clip the day's digest before you
click "Send" - also change the subject line to something that matches
your post.