Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: October 26, 2010

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2010 - 04:38:01 PDT

RE: Standards based grading
Our art dept. has used standards based grading for years now,
vertically integrating the curriculum, tied to the overall state
standards. I teach grades 3-4-5, and each grade has seven or eight
standards. Each curriculum unit is tied to 2-3 standards. I have it
all mapped, based on "big ideas" on my blog,
http://girbino-art247.blogspot.com/ (it's one of the older posts,
Aug. or Sept. 2010). An example of some standards:
"Create artworks using appropriate techniques, exemplifying relevant
elements and principles of art"; "Explore the cultural, historical,
and social contexts of art forms as they apply to their own art
processes"; "Establish criteria to to describe and evaluate a range of
artworks".
I use a four point scale and enter everything online using a Gradebook
program. Once you link the standards, all the averaging is done for
you.
-Lois G.
Life is short, art is long...-Hippocrates