Re: [teacherartexchange] "In Between Projects"

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 26 2010 - 15:36:58 PDT

Greetings Melissa and All,

I am retired now, but towards the end of my teaching career I became
sold on Choice Based Art Education. There is an active group on Yahoo
for "Teaching for Artistic Behavior" TAB Choice and a web site. With
choice, there are no "in between projects".

TAB Choice Art Ed Yahoo Group

Teaching for Artistic Behavior site:
http://teachingforartisticbehavior.org/

I highly recommend the book:
Engaging Learners Through Artmaking: Choice-Based Art Education in
the Classroom Douglas & Jaquith, 2009

Like many of the art teachers on this list, I had state objectives
that I couldn't see how to address going total choice, but I had
choice stations that students could use when finished with the
assigned project. In addition, I had ways of extending the existing
lesson. For instance, those who finished early could make a very cool
frame (for 2-D work) - and those who straggled behind were not
penalized if they didn't make a frame. For ceramics and sculpture, I
had alternative ways of decorating. Early finishers got to do the more
complicated finishes - late finishers were given less choices and
again, not penalized for doing the easier finish.

There is an art education web site that has tons of ideas offered by
teachers on this site. Google "Art Free Time Activities" or "I'm done,
now what do I do" - Art Free time activities. One idea was submitted
by Marty Reid - "Drawing Drawer" -- although the file has been changed
dramatically on the site. One used to be able to print off the page
and cut the strips.... Now you need to reformat the ideas into your
own table for cutting. Things change......If you want the "Drawing
Drawer" in its original format, let me know (I should still have it on
file). I do have a way of posting it to this list.

Michal Austin has a page of over 150 ideas, but I don't have her new
web address. Michal, if you see this, please post your link.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Judy Decker

P.S. As always - if you post a reply to this, please take the time to
remove my email address (and all member email addresses when you
post). Digest users, remember to clip the day's digest before you
click "Send".