RE: [teacherartexchange] Extra Credit

---------

From: Judi Morgan (judi.morgan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2010 - 14:20:12 PDT

I have found that extra credit- when students have not finished their
regular work-- works counter-productively. The time they then spend on
that extra credit could be used to make sure their next assignment is
finished well and on time. Not to mention that then the responsibility
is placed on us to not lose the extra credit, get it graded in a timely
manner, etc. They will often spend more time making sure we do our part
than just getting their work done. This sounds a bit negative. It's
not. Just experience and reality. I just encourage them to focus on
the upcoming projects and if they do their best, get them in on time,
etc. their grade should improve.

I DO however, occasionally give extra credit for a job exceptionally
well done...thorough, beyond what was requested, right on regarding
concept, extra time spent, etc. Not a lot, but certainly a reward.

Judi

Judi Morgan
Saint George's School
2929 W. Waikiki Road