Re: [teacherartexchange] Video Recorders

---------

From: Michal Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 24 2010 - 09:45:41 PDT

I teach a Digital Communications class, with 1st semester focusing on
Photoshop & 2nd semester on video production. I use Final Cut Express
on my Macs, since 99% of student needs can be fulfilled with this
software. The cost difference between Express & the full blown version
is significant. Unfortunately on my PC laptops we are stuck with Adobe
Premier (not bad, not the best tho), or Windows Movie Maker. I assign
computers based on student's prior experience on what software they'll
use. One of the best features of Final Cut Express is it is the best
one I've seen for working with audio & allowing you to have 2 audio
files playing at once (in case you're interviewing & want soft music
in the background - you can lower volume in either track according to
need). Once students understand the basics of video editing they can
figure out whatever software they have. Windows Movie Maker, as much
as I dislike it overall, really is super simple for teaching basics,
since you start at the top & work your way down the list, so it is
pretty much step-by-step.

Some of the assignments I teach:
* 1st assignment is to tape themselves using different camera angles
(close-up, mid-shot, wide-shot) reading from a script. The script is
an introduction to themselves - "Hi, my name is _____". "In my free
time I like to _____", "My favorite thing I did last summer is
________", "My favorite vacation was _______ because _______", etc.
Each sentence is assigned a camera angle, and each sentence is shot
out of order so students learn basic manipulation of the software.
* Tell a story from the viewpoint of an animal. Get on the floor &
chase a ball, scratch on the door, etc.
* Recite a poem in front of a green screen & add video to the background
* 30 second commercial (and I am a HUGE stickler on the time, because
if you get into contests that timing is the first thing the judges
look at. 29 or 31 seconds = disqualified)
* Create a "how-to" video on the hobby of their choice
* Create a 30 second video to promote school activities (shown at
enrollment)
* Newscast on "The Week in Review" for school activites

I also have them use "CamStudio" or "Jing", which is a free download,
to create a vod-casts teaching how to use different software.
CamStudio is a screen capturing software for PCs, and we use Jing on
our Macs.

I haven't ever uploaded anything to TeacherTube, but use YouTube all
the time. If your video is too long you might break it into sections &
upload each section individually. However, I make my students edit
heavily to keep the videos interesting (no 2 minute video of them
walking down the path - 3 seconds at the start of the walk, 3 seconds
further down the path, 3 more seconds further on will convey that same
story. Changing angles and deleting irrelevant parts keep the largest
majority of our videos are 2 minutes & under. Have your students start
watching commercials to see how to tell a story in 30 seconds - it
really helps. Hope this answers your questions - it is amazing how
motivating digital storytelling can be!
~Michal