Re: [teacherartexchange] Video Recorders

---------

From: Michal Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 24 2010 - 07:12:55 PDT

It would depend on what you plan to do with your video recorder. I
have 5 Flip Video cameras that I purchased for around $90 each - they
were 30 minute cameras on clearance. I believe Flip was either
eliminating those colors or the 30 minute version for the 60 minute
ones. These are for student use. I check them out to students for our
class assignments & they work wonderful for that purpose. I have one
of my own that I carry & use regularly. They don't have great zoom
quality, but the overall image is acceptable.

I also have 1 Sony & 2 Canon video cameras that I spent appx. $300
each on, again on sale. These are for higher end projects. I love
these cameras, but don't use them quite as much because getting the
video off onto the large variety of computers in my room becomes a
challenge (different cords, adapters, etc). I have had the Sony for
around 7 years now & it is still impressive (and probably my favorite
camera). The one feature I don't like on my Canons is the way they
switch formats easily, so it is easy to have 1/2 your video in full
screen, 1/2 in wide screen. I wish that feature was a little more
difficult to switch. I also find them a bit clunkier. All 3 of these
use the mini dv tapes. Our athletic program uses the mini DVDs and I
absolutely HATE everything about the results on those. Every time you
turn off the camera it makes your video into a new "scene", so
watching your video is not fluid, and pulling video off to work on it
is clunky & not user-friendly.

Part of the process in making quality videos is having a quality
software program to edit them. We use WIndows Movie Maker (ICK!),
Adobe Premier (not completely thrilled, but it's workable), & for my
Macs we use Final Cut, which is my #1 top choice (I don't like iMovie
any better than Movie Maker).
~Michal