RE: [teacherartexchange] Weighing grades in art class?

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2010 - 17:12:27 PDT

As most know I am recently retired. I say that so you understand the history behind my remarks. Over the 35 years I implemented a variety of formulas to grade students, and for some reason whichever way I "worked" out the grades, including AP Art History grades, the grades always would work out to what I would have given the student without the formula. That said the formula when announced and connected to the syllabus would give students a "heads up" on what would be expected of them. Now before you think I arbitrarily "gave" students grades, I am of the opinion that grades are earned by students who go through the process that I facilitated. My opinion of teaching art is that it is learning a concept that has been scaffolded by a concept(s) learned prior, process, and then product. Working from bell to bell, and craftsmanship factor into everything as well. So, my last formula looked a bit like this:

20% Original idea and concept useage (thumbnail sketches, roughs, thesis development, etc)
50% Process (idea implementation and development, use of materials, understanding and use of concept(s),use of time, meeting deadlines)
10% Craftsmanship (clean up, use of tools, finishing the edges, etc)
20% Product (keeping in mind that this is the culmination, and the first time students have "made" what you are asking them to do...I wouldn't want my whole grade based on any of my first time works).

as they say in the "awesome" parlance IMHO

San D