Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Weighing grades in art class?

From: Sharon (sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2010 - 16:53:57 PDT

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Amara A. Barthelemy wrote:
> Hello, I am an art education major at the University of Minnesota in Duluth.
> My classmates and I were discussing grade weights presented in a syllabus.
> In what ways to art teachers determine the weight of the grades presented to
> students in a class syllabus? What should be worth more or less and how do
> you determine that?

For my Art 1 kids, projects are worth 50% of their grade, homework
(weekly homework drawings along with occasional reading/writing
assignments) is 35% and their work ethic (how well they use their
class time for art production) is 15%.

I use rubrics for all projects, for their homework drawings, etc.

By the time a few kids get to Honors art, their projects are 70% of
their grade. They're the ones working on portfolios for college/art
school submissions.

To unsubscribe go to