Fw: [teacherartexchange] appr clarification

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2010 - 14:38:13 PDT

If you are a member or not a member (reason to join) of the National Art
Educators Association this would be a great resource to contact. NAEA could put

you in contact with current "go to people" that are tackling this issue along
with you. NAEA has regional representatives along with local representatives
that could offer answers. This is also a topic that could be brought to your
own states regional council of NAEA to then bring to the national NAEA
conference for discussion and review. Having a national shared method to
address this issue along with keeping it manageable would be of value to all.

Jeff (Minnesota)

As a part of the Race To The Top, here in NYS our APPR (annual professional
performance review) contains a section where we must demonstrate student growth.

In non state tested subjects ( art/PE/FACS, music, etc) 40% of our evaluation is

based on these locally developed and negotiated parameters. The issue is how to
develop WORKABLE measures that will not swamp elementary teachers with huge
student loads, and allow us to evaluate students at the end of the year. Now we
must also factor in students who jump district to district (impacting the idea
of a total portfolio review, kids who arrive mid year w/o one we are STILL
liable to demonstrate growth), kids who have IEPS, kids who arrive w/o
sufficient art instruction from other states or countries, kids who just will
refuse to work, etc.)We are finding that our Professional Development plans must

be linked to the APPR. Thanks to the wonderful national vision and the way we
are portrayed recently in the
media, this is a daunting task. That is why I am looking to see how other states

are handling this RTTP component and specifically what instruments are being
adopted by art departments.

I am looking here at sketchbook development ( process journals), writing
reflective statements ( here again..how do you assess students who have IEPS
dealing with writing, and those who are in AIS for low state test scores....)
and the use of pre and post project 'tests' ( ex pre drawing and post drawings).

It is a monster that is taking on a life of it's own, in my opinion. Here in NYS

it is subject to collective bargaining and will be come part of all contracts.

I recently attended a 6 hour workshop on APPR changes and my head is still
spinning. Too many unanswerable questions and gray areas. Again, the whole
process and implications was not adequately thought out at the national
level.......

Donnalyn in NY

Donnalyn in NY