[teacherartexchange] appr/merit pay

---------

From: donnalyn shuster (d_shuster_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2010 - 08:11:29 PDT

And that does not begin to address the issue of tying performance to merit pay.....something we are cautioned to avoid in contract language tied to APPR.....the only saving grace is that administrators APPR scores are also tied to how well we 'perform', so there is some incentive for their support and that there is an appeals process in place. RTTT funds will not really be seen in local districts, despite the hype..here in NYS going for administrative costs of the program, with a small, small % going to districts. It is a joke.

Dealing with this has become a burr under the saddle of special areas( and classroom) teachers in NY....and as a building union rep another headache to deal with.

I was hoping NAEA would be making a stand on this or at least putting out some guidelines....So far there is nothing available in NYS to serve as a model for teachers to look at......

Donnalyn in NY