[teacherartexchange] appr clarification

---------

From: donnalyn shuster (d_shuster_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2010 - 08:04:33 PDT

As a part of the Race To The Top, here in NYS our APPR (annual professional performance review) contains a section where we must demonstrate student growth. In non state tested subjects ( art/PE/FACS, music, etc) 40% of our evaluation is based on these locally developed and negotiated parameters. The issue is how to develop WORKABLE measures that will not swamp elementary teachers with huge student loads, and allow us to evaluate students at the end of the year. Now we must also factor in students who jump district to district (impacting the idea of a total portfolio review, kids who arrive mid year w/o one we are STILL liable to demonstrate growth), kids who have IEPS, kids who arrive w/o sufficient art instruction from other states or countries, kids who just will refuse to work, etc.)We are finding that our Professional Development plans must be linked to the APPR. Thanks to the wonderful national vision and the way we are portrayed recently in the
 media, this is a daunting task. That is why I am looking to see how other states are handling this RTTP component and specifically what instruments are being adopted by art departments.

I am looking here at sketchbook development ( process journals), writing reflective statements ( here again..how do you assess students who have IEPS dealing with writing, and those who are in AIS for low state test scores....) and the use of pre and post project 'tests' ( ex pre drawing and post drawings). It is a monster that is taking on a life of it's own, in my opinion. Here in NYS it is subject to collective bargaining and will be come part of all contracts.

I recently attended a 6 hour workshop on APPR changes and my head is still spinning. Too many unanswerable questions and gray areas. Again, the whole process and implications was not adequately thought out at the national level.......

Donnalyn in NY

Donnalyn in NY