Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: October 07, 2010

---------

From: Claire d'Anthes (cdanthes_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 09 2010 - 17:58:40 PDT

Hi, all,
First I'd like to say thank you to everyone who replied with
suggestions for strategies and programs to help me with my SE Photoshop
students. Ultimately, the three developmentally disabled students
transferred out. The program was just way too hard for two of them
even with an aide, a student partner, written instructions, and a
slower pace. One student has been with me for two years now and is
back in my drawing class doing well. She's the highest
functioning/hardest working DD student I've seen and if she couldn't do
it, I'm not sure who could. She just couldn't remember even the
two-step key sequences from day to day. It was very disruptive to the
pace of the class as a whole and the aide was completely insensitive to
the fact that she was asking for 20 minutes per day of my time while
others were waiting, even after she was given simple directions to
follow. I feel the students could have stayed with a competent aide,
although I don't think this would really be an authentic learning
experience, just the aide doing the work. I like my DD students to be
learning and improving. I do think they could have done well with a
simpler program with a more visual interface, maybe Kidpix or Painter,
which I offered to buy, and I have notified my principal and the
district S.E. director that we should be providing an alternative and
hiring, if possible, aides who know or are willing to learn the program
with their students. After 2 months, I've finally been granted the 5
simple, inexpensive, texts I asked for to assist the aide and the DD
students and my students with auditory processing disorders. I offered
to pay for them myself and get reimbursed to get them quickly but . . .
Hopefully, I'll get them before the semester is over! The district
doesn't act unless someone sues them. Anyway a lesson learned. I
will be exploring the various suggestions you all gave me so students
can participate in the future.

Re perspective:
Thiebaud and Diebenkorn are two of my very favorite American artists,
too, and it's true that many fine artists just need a general grasp of
linear perspective unless they want to draw architecture or machines
realistically. I personally never learned it until I was a student
teacher. However, it's actually very useful for some people in figure
drawing (I am an organic curve person,myself, love observational
drawing, and only think about perspective once in a while), and it is
an essential understanding for those who want to cartoon, animate,
etc., popular out here in CA. I have to say that I've had great
success teaching one-point perspective to high school students with
Harold Olejarz's excellent online tutorial and then having them design
their own fantasy environment. I used to do this in junior high, but
with the cuts, many arrive without having learned perspective, or
without having mastered it. Most of my kids love this project and do
it very well. Funnily enough for artists, they get a sense of
satisfaction from knowing they have got it "right". For those who can
SHOW me that they understand 1 point already, they get a choice of
assignments, (2 point or 3 point environments, buildings, sci-fi
machines, etc. and can do distorted perspective if they show me that
they understand 3 point. This works well for me as everyone gets to
work at the level they feel comfortable at and no one gets to avoid
difficulty.

Claire