[teacherartexchange] Wayne Theibaud - A different "perspective" - Riverscape

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2010 - 06:37:15 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Here is a wonderful example from Wayne Theibaud that shows my
philosophy on traditional perspective lessons (They are BORING - why
bother?). I taught a traditional perspective lesson in 1976 or 1977.
Never again. I think I hated it more than the students.

Check out this newer work: "River Intersection"
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/10/03/arts/design/03wayne-grfk.html?ref=design

If that link is too long (or breaks) - simply go to:
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html
Scroll down to Closer Look (in middle column) - "Riverscape, From Higher Ground"
I love the way the viewpoint changes.

Also see the article "Sweet Home California" - slide show included.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/arts/design/03wayne.html?ref=design
You will see several "scapes" in the slide show. Many teach Theibaud
for the desserts - I like his "scapes" so much better.

From the article:
>>Mr. Thiebaud’s imagined delta landscapes — where azure furrows meld with emerald levees, violet fields and confetti orchards and a river with phosphorescent banks flowing dizzily in several directions — are among the 75 paintings and drawings to be featured in “Homecoming,” a retrospective at the Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento, the city he has called home since the 1950s. The exhibit, on view from Oct. 10 through Nov. 28, coincides with the opening of a 125,000-square-foot wing, designed by Charles Gwathmey and Gwathmey Siegel Associates, that nearly quadruples the museum’s gallery space.

There is a wealth of information available FREE from New York Times.

Someone on Art Education or ArtsEducators Yahoo Group asked me to post
when more Opinion pieces (relating to education) were online. Here is
the link for that section:
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/opinion/index.html
I check Arts/Design index frequently, but rarely check the Opinion
section. Dr. Marvin Bartel had alerted me to the article I posted.

Enjoy,

Judy Decker

Reminder: When you post a reply, remember to remove the email address
of the original sender before you click "Send". Your efforts
(especially Getty members) will reduce the amount of Spam everyone
receives.
Hmmm...... thinking about just adding that as a signature now so I
don't need to type it each time......