RE: [teacherartexchange] Boy dominated art room!

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 02 2010 - 10:09:01 PDT

Puppets, puppets, puppets. They love puppets, and will be as goofy as possible when you teach them how to make puppets, write shows, and perform. You can teach anything using puppets. Want to teach about the principles and elements, do scenery with perspective, lines and colors as well as drawing involved with the actual designing of a puppet, face and body proportions, etc. Want to do sculpture? Make a puppet in paper mache and fabric. Want to do graphic design? Design posters and playbills for the show. Want to do Ceramics? Make clay hands and heads for glove or rod puppets. (which by the by you can do with air dry clay as well).

Most professional puppeteers are men (although I will say women are gaining in numbers). The consensus is that puppets are highly interactive, fun, and educational.

San D
the unabashed retired puppetry teacher.