Re: [teacherartexchange] Boy dominated art room!

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 02 2010 - 09:01:26 PDT

I teach mid. school too and I've had a couple of classes of all boys.
When I do, I COMPLETELY revamp my curriculum. It turns into a "keep
those hands busy" theme. Weaving works well. So does op art where they
have to use tools like the compass, etc.

One year got so rough that I decided we were going to do 3-4 ft.
monsters and that turned out delightful! It became so popular that for
many years we had a "monster-making" sculpture class which always
filled up with boys only. I finally got tired of hauling around 50 lb.
bags of flour in my car and opted for a mixed class again. Many of the
monsters had drool and blood, etc. which are "boy" things but it took
all semester for each person to do one each and it was fun. During
drying time we'd watch monster-making movies and Jarassic Park. You'd
probably find "The Making of Jarassic Park" on half.com or old, used
books and it breaks down scenes for you. Really neat. Dan Reed also
has a book (I think 2) on making paper-mache monsters which I used but
tweeked quite a bit during the years. You can go to our website and
see examples of them as well. I'm hoping you can get there because our
librarian was told to revamp the school website and it's somewhere in
there.

http://lc-art-gallery.lcms.srvusd.net/KramerMain.html

Good luck. Bunki