[teacherartexchange] Boy dominated art room!

---------

From: jjennifer west (jenniferjoycewest_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 02 2010 - 08:37:42 PDT

Hi All,

I would love a little help. While I completely believe in the benefits of single sex education, I don't like teaching it. I am at a public middle school teaching art for 3 years now. I actually left a private school art position before this because classes were divided by boys and girls and I just couldn't stand teaching the boy classes. The energy is so different, and being a small woman, sometimes the behavior gets to be way to much for me. While I am able to "handle it" to a certain degree, I feel emotionally and mentally exhausted. Now, this year, for whatever reason, I find that 3 out of my 5 classes a day are way out of balance in the sexes (29 boys to 3 or 4 girls). I am wondering if my curriculum or classroom management (or both) need some "tweeking" to help beef me up to do battle with this year? If anyone has any suggested reading on teaching boys (specifically), or good advice from experience, I would really appreciate the help.
 Otherwise, this is going to be a long year......

Best, Jen