[teacherartexchange] grading outcome - HA HA

---------

From: jeryl HOLLINGSWORTH (hollingsworth005_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 28 2009 - 19:22:30 PDT

Well, 27 years in education I really should know better. I gathered all the info and compiled it just like my principal asked me to do.
 Meeting synopsis ( by a new district office personnel person who admitted he isn't our supervisor but he doesn't really know who is, he was nice about it and said he was just in charge of getting this PowerTeacher thing going)
        "here is what we decided- you will enter at least 2 assignments per grade quarter- just put something in so the parents will know what the students are working on- then you can give them all an "S" (this is for kdg through 6th grade)"
         question by one of us, "so our grading system is "S" or "n"? Yes,
isn't that what we decided?
         question by us, "and what is this based on? "well I guess participation." so .... meeting over in 15 minutes after he showed us how to enter assignments. His thinking the parents would like to know what is going on. My thinking, well they can go on my web page or artsonia and they will get a much better pciture. (pardon the pun)
         Anway, thanks for all your contributions to the survey. You probably spent more time writing that up than we spent getting told what we do. No input at all. He did say that he thought it was important to give grades to validate our program. really? giving everyone an "s" if they show up? Well I will play the game and then go on doing more meaningful things!

         BTW- did a great 1st grade lesson on pumpkin drawing where we learned the difference in a circle and sphere and they had to mix yellow and red - I conveniently didn't have any orange in the cabinet. They also had to learn how to mix up a brown and green. Two week lesson that did well. I posted most of them on artsonia. My parents and kids are really loving the site.
                 Jeryl in SC