Re:[teacherartexchange] spring art show

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 28 2009 - 07:43:02 PDT

When I was teaching, we put on a K-12 show at the local library. Once a year, all the art teachers installed a show and presented it to the community. In addition, we made the show a community event, with K-12 music events as well as the visual art exhibit. That in itself drew many parents and community members, but we also sought and received support from the community at large by soliciting local restaurants to supply free food and refreshments in tents erected on the library grounds. In addition, all of the parent's clubs participated by providing servers and additional treats like cookies and cupcakes. The whole event was underwritten by the schools as well as the local Arts Council. This was a huge event, actually the biggest art event in our small town, which many years later, is still talked about. The message here is to get the support and participation by more than the teachers involved. The parents clubs, booster organizations and local
 businesses all need and seek the good public relations that such an event bring to the community.