[teacherartexchange] ideas for school wide community service

---------

From: donnalyn shuster (d_shuster_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 21 2009 - 08:48:30 PDT

Looking for a suggestion for a school wide community service project designed to build morale and foster a greater sense of pride for middle schoolers. We are a low economic area and are looking for an idea that can 'give back' to the community as so many people are in need.

This came about after a discussion with a few teachers about how counter-productive things like 'spirit week' are to middle schoolers - and that they get so wound up about it. We need to channel the energy into something positive that we can relate back to 'pride in our school' in an non athletic sense....

Others, do you have the same issues??? I am so tired of the chaos the traditional 'spirit' week causes....and there will be resistance I am sure.

Also...looking for ideas on hosting a clothing center in the school for students in need......I know of several who do not have winter coats and come to school not dressed for the weather...and others who pick through the lost bin looking for items....it is so sad in this economy to see this happening. ( And we can tie this in to " How The Artist Can Impact the Community Where They Live....")

I appreciate any direction you all could give me on this great list!

Donnalyn in NY