Re: [teacherartexchange] ideas for school wide community service

---------

From: Gayle Parent (gayleparent_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 21 2009 - 16:55:43 PDT

One thing we are doing is the "Empty Bowls Project". Perhaps that
could be one way for some of the students to give. My district did
that for the first time last year and it was a big hit. We sold the
bowls before a board meeting, so we had a large group who would be
there anyway. We earned more money than the goal we set, and it was
very popular, so we felt successful. The money went to a food bank
that serves our community. If you do this be prepared for people who
want early access. I'll write more if you want to know more.

My former district created quite a nice second hand clothing source
for families at the district office. I would guess that a lot of
kids would NOT go into a free clothing space at their own school.
Too embarrassing, but at the district office it was "safe". Our
social workers would give them a ride if they needed one.

Good luck. Helping others, even in Title One schools, where many of
the kids are in need, gives kids that life lesson of "doing good for
others" and they feel good about that. Good luck with your plan,
your goals are important ones.

Gayle