[teacherartexchange] grading in art- thanks

---------

From: jeryl HOLLINGSWORTH (hollingsworth005_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 17 2009 - 16:48:52 PDT

Thanks to all of you have responded to my query about grading. It has been amazing to hear the range of how people are required to assess. I heard from one 2nd year teacher that I worked with this past summer (our state has a wonderful summer institute program for arts teachers and one of the classes is for teachers in their 1,2 or 3rd year of teaching) She is required to give a grade every class for every child and she teaches 700 students. Not just participation either, quizzes, tests, productions,etc. with weighted grades and this is elementary. Sad thing is, I know from observing her, she is a great teacher. Anyone want to take bets on how long she lasts in this job? I should have included a question in my survey about how you feel about the grading- most of the responders added it anyway. We will be meeting with a district person on Wed. so I'll let you all know how it goes. And I'll try to compile the info. The thing is, I would rather spend my
 time working on the digital portfolios that I do for each student than putting meaningless grades into a computer (if I'm just giving an S or N which is what they are proposing-based on behavior but I must still list at least 3 projects for each student) How many times do you think I get thank you notes from parents for the report card S or N grade that I gave their student? ( I have gotten really nice notes from parents after they get their cd of student's work) Side note, I have started using Artsonia this year which is so easy to do since I was already taking lots of photos. I must say, I've really been impressed with the site so far. I had several parents stop me at the high school football game last night to say how much they are enjoying seeing their children's work on-line. Isn't that what art should be about for children?
             Jeryl in SC