RE: [teacherartexchange] grading elementary art

---------

From: Cheryl Lloyd (clloyd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 21:21:16 PDT

Hi Jeryl,
 My very first art class that I taught was with kindergarteners. I was teaching a lesson on line and primary colors. I had everything ready to go, everything well thought out (I taught third grade for years before art - I had this teaching thing down, right?). I asked the class to hold their brushes in the air and then dip them in the red paint. Half of the class flashed me the ? eyes. It was then I knew it was going down hill. I hadn't written their names on their papers, they couldn't reach the sink....what a mess. My hats off to all you kindergarten teachers!
Anyway, to help with your questions:

1. Are you required to give grades? Yes
2. If so, what are the grades? Outstanding, Satisfactory, Needs Improvement
3. Do you have a required number of assessments for each nine weeks? or a semester? No required assessments. I am in process of making a standards based report card just for our fine arts department. This includes dance, drama, music, and art. I should be done by December grading period.
4. How many times do you see your students? K-1 for 30 min a week , 2-5 for 45 min a week, MS elective 5 hours a week.
5. What state do you teach in? CA

Cheri Lloyd
Ceres, CA