Re: [teacherartexchange] Budget survey

---------

From: jjennifer west (jenniferjoycewest_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 20:07:15 PDT

Thanks for your thoughts Ellen. I also appreciate your sensitivity to this "not coming across the wrong way", because I too have taught in several different schools, at all grade levels (with the exception of college), in both private and public schools, In a couple of special needs schools, and in a couple of different states over the last 13 years. I understand what you are saying, however there are huge inequities within my particular school district and there are a variety of reasons that the visual art budget has not be adequately advocated for over the past 15 years. This is my 3rd year at this school, my first year with tenure in the district, and the last two years the program was completely supported by a state grant. Believe me, we use a lot of recyclables, I teach about found art, folk art, and we use a lot of "junk" to create art, but this is not what a program should be based on due to a lack of funding. This district is in one of the
 most expensive places to live in the entire country. We have schools on the "other side" of our district in Malibu where we teach to the children of movie stars, and our superintendent has car and housing stipends attached to his salary (which happens to be one of the largest administrative salaries in the entire los angeles area), that exceed my ENTIRE salary. While I appreciate your sentiment to just "be creative with what we have", my district expects a lot of fantastic product from our program and we teach year long block classes that require consumables. The fact is, the money is there, it simply doesn't trickle down into the classroom and this has gone overlooked due to HIGH turnover in this particular position. I think is also important to consider the importance of standards based art education where your job as a teacher is to teach your content area without trying to figure out how to get the tools to do it. Fundraising is another FULL
 TIME job in addition to teaching. For some people this may not be a problem, but for me, I've been there, done that. I need a reasonable, basic budget to buy basic tools, materials, and supplies for the art program and I refuse to spend every waking moment of my life outside of school begging, borrowing, and stealing it. If this email sounds a bit angry, it is in part of the inequities involved within my specific situation, however, I do have to say this viewpoint expressed by a fellow art teacher is also a little unappetizing.

Best,

Jen