[teacherartexchange] grading elementary art

---------

From: jeryl HOLLINGSWORTH (hollingsworth005_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 18:31:01 PDT

Hi All,
   My principal asked me to gather some input for her to present to our deputy superintendent - she wondered if I knew any art teachers? Duh. Anyway, I know this has been discussed before and I could probably search the archives which I tried without much success. So I'm asking if you could take a quick minute to respond to these questions. Currently we give an S (satisfactory) or an N ( not meeting expectations) on report cards for our students -1st grade through 6th. This is supposed to be based on the students participating 80% of the time. Now they want us to still give s or n but we will have to post at least 3 assessments for each grade level for each nine weeks. Our principals think this is unrealistic for what is considered an exploratory class at the elementary level. So here are my questions for any elementary art folks who could respond.
1. Are you required to give grades?
2. If so, what are the grades (ex. A, B, or E, S,)
3. Do you have a required number of assessments for each nine weeks? or a semester?
4. How many times do you see your students? ( we meet once a week for 45 minutes)
5. What state do you teach in?
Thanks in advance for the help. I'm frustrated with this whole situation since we spent a long time developing a grading system several years ago within the related arts teacher community in our district and then the new administration changed it all without getting any input from us. Now they want to change it again and at least my principal is trying to give us a voice - so I feel I should get her some data. thanks again
side note- I did origami with 4 year olds today- you know you are in trouble when you say, today we are going to make our art project by folding paper and a sweet little one says, what is folding? It actually turned out really well and they were thrilled with their fire dogs!
           Jeryl in SC