Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: October 10, 2009

---------

From: ruth campbell (campbellruthscott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 17:16:52 PDT

Hi Everyone,
To the great suggestions for materials to recycle, I'll add my favorites-

lampshades== if in ok condition we redesign them with acrylics, sometimes w/ masking tape hard-edges

lampshades== if not useable, I reclaim the top and bottom rings--all kinds of possibilities==the rings alone are worth $ 3-5.00)

ugly lamps==the uglier the better= a light sanding to rough up, and they can be transformed
with acrylics, paper mache, beads, paper clay, hot glue and just about anything else==
both shades and lamps love to be collaged--

odd ceramic plates: solid colors  they can be painted with underglazes and refired--you can also make mosaic
tiles and thye will "fire" on to commercial tiles or plates  fire to cone 05

leftover commercial tiles--same-- underglaze, coat w/ clear  cone 05

fake flowers and leaves  my most favorite project was "mouse houses" which were made from
donated cardboard ice cream pints, leaves and flowers hot glued on, tiny beds and tables made from
Woodsies ( cheap)--the only purchase material was the Woodsies, and a tiny amount of air dry clay
for the mice ( and the cheese, etc).  I;ve rarely had an elementary project get so much excitement==
we had golf tees become 4-poster beds, picnics, brides and grooms ( donated fabrics)
toothpaste caps became flower pots, etc...

hard cover books   altered books, or repaint covers, and relace pages with drawing paper

cheap glass vases ( the ones florists send)  we paint them for reverse glass, collage them, glue mosiacs on them, endless----

mirrors  or pieces of mirror :   mosaics, etc-- my favorite was making a paper mache handmirror for a mermaid
a small amount of acrylic paint or tempera w/ Krylon spray in your only expense--we used cardboard forms
cut from cartons, glued down the mirror w/ a little hot glue, paper mache over the top--added the glitz of rhinestones, shells,, some hairy green yarn for seaweed.

free envelopes that come in the mail with the "want a donation" solicitation greeting cards

old board games ( and the cool pieces) Invent a game: graphic design project--pain or collage over game board

mismatched forks and spoons   we cut off the handles, and make cool clay ones--glue in after firing.

Enough for now-- is there a way to attach photos to posts ?

Ruth Sea (C)