Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: October 09, 2009

---------

From: tara franzese (artmuse67_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 10 2009 - 14:01:23 PDT

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 4:01 AM, TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group
digest <teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu> wrote:
> TEACHERARTEXCHANGE Digest for Friday, October 09, 2009.
>
> 1. my supply budget
> 2. Re: Budget survey
> 3. RE: mural
> 4. Re: Budget survey
> 5. favourite free materials
> 6. Re: Budget survey

Wow, its really interesting to hear what the budgets are for everyone.
 I teach in Queens NY at a an elementary level charter school and my
budget is roughly around $500 for 300 students. This is the first
year that this school even offered art, so when I accepted the
position they had 0 in the ways of art supplies for me to use. So for
all of you out there who have strict budgets and limited resources I
totally feel your pain! As a solution to my dilemma I started
collecting basically everything I could get my hands on, from
styrofoam take-out containers (to cut up and use for printmaking) to
4-cup coffee holders (you can make face armatures with them) to
magazines donated from public libraries and even sawdust to make paper
mache mulch. I have to say that to some extent I like the challenge,
but its definitely frustrating sometimes. Ellen, you had a good point
about tools and resources costing more than materials sometimes. When
i started I didn't even have a paper cutter!

This is a pretty decent site for using recyclable materials to make
things, some of it is too craft oriented for me to teach, but others
stuff is pretty good. Its called the Imagination Factory and the site
is
http://www.kid-at-art.com/
I also sent home a list of items that parents can donate to me like
paper towel tubes, old cd's, string, fabric, wrapping paper etc. The
area I teach is pretty depressed and I didn't want to ask for anything
that they would have to buy because I know finances are tough for
everyone, so this is a list of things that I can use that are free.
Btw, I love the bowling pin idea, I am sooo going to call up some
places a do a lesson with them. Keep the good ideas coming!!