[teacherartexchange] favourite free materials

---------

From: Sue Stevens (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 09 2009 - 16:35:04 PDT

While thinking about budgets, I thought I would ask for people to post thier
favourite free materials/supplies......might be helpful to others.

I few of my favourites.....

Stub rolls of white 65lbs (or heavier) paper, as well as newsprint, ranging
from 12" wide, to 3 feet wide - contact a local "web printer" to see if they
donate thier stub rolls (end rolls)....usually there's a ton of paper left
on the roll!

bowling pins (wooden) - some bowling alleys are still using the wooden core
bowling pins, and they change them out on a regular schedule. Our local
bowling alley sells them at $1 each, with the money going to a local
charity, but I've gotten others for free. I had the grade 12 students make
people and animals out of them - they absolutely loved it! The wooden core
is great since you can drill into it to add parts. You do need to sand the
surface with rough sandpaper (wear masks) and then prime with a problem
solving primer (but you only need a small can to do 30 or more pins).